Today I want to talk about the topic of financially supporting your incarcerated loved one. I’ll answer the questions:
1. “What are the benefits of financially supporting my loved one?”
2. “How often should I send money?”
3. “How much money should I send?”
4. “When should I stop sending money?”
5. “When is sending money detrimental?”
I know that some of you are financially supporting an incarcerated loved one either regularly or by periodically sending money for ‘special’ occasions like institutional fundraisers, birthdays, sundry or food packages etc. Coping with separation from loved ones is difficult and financially assisting them is a way to maintain an ongoing connection. It probably also provides you with a sense of comfort that you are able to help. About 70% of all prisoners receive some form of financial assistance from friends or family.